Friday, September 24, 2010

Womanese and Mandrin

The other day at work I was trying to communicate instruction for a task to two Arabic workers. Their English was poor and they had a difficult time comprehending the instructions I was trying to give. As a result I ended up explaining things multiple times and had a to show them instead of just telling them what I wanted them to do. And in the end the task took much longer then necessary.
Many different times during conversations with significant others or just friends that are girls, there has been a gap in what each of us take out of the same conversation or even just statement. It has been shocking to me at times the meanings girls have taken from things that I have said. Often times my intentions were good, but were not understood as such.
Just last year I was dating a beautiful young lady. One evening we were headed to a Jazz game when I said that our relationship did not have enough depth. The meaning I hoped to convey was that we should work together to create more depth in our relationship. However, she took my statement to mean that I was thinking about breaking up with her. She was emotionally distraught, the remainder of the night there was a horrible tension and it was not enjoyable. Finally as I dropped her off at home we finally talked about it and realized our different views.
“Understanding women is a like trying to read and understand Isiah.” What does understanding Isiah take? Now I am not trying to pass all the blame on to woman for the problems we have communicating with the opposite sex. I am simply stating that we speak different languages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Do you have a fun dating story to share? Have you tried out one of our suggestions? We want to know!